Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Finished Tia Dalma and What the Hell Sinbad?



All right, here's my next attempt at Tia Dalma. This coloring is better - she stands out more from the background while still merging with it, which was my original intention. But I may end up tinkering with it even more.




Sitting down to dinner the other night, Sinbad came on Cartoon Network. I haven't seen the movie since right after I finished working on it, and wanted to see how it held up with six years of fine aging. Yep - same old crap. Since I first heard about Disney's Hercules (3 years before I ended up working on it) I have been wanting a good Hero-Fighting-Monsters flick. And what better way to do that than in animation. Of course, Hercules was far from that, with his 12 labors reduced to a 1 minute montage in a peppy song. Then along came Sinbad. Strong hero. Fighting monsters. What else could Sinbad be?! Well, watching Sinbad RUN AWAY from every monster he encountered once again showed how animation executives can eviscerate just about anything. I understand that they wanted to show a tough girl and a sensitive guy - but come on -- it's called Sinbad! You want a tough girl, there are lots of stories to choose from, but why castrate Sinbad to do it? I always watch the end credits of a movie, but this time I noticed something new - Creative Consultants were the guys who wrote Pirates of the Caribbean. Now in that movie, they were allowed strong heroes AND heroines. Everybody got to fight with monsters! Why do animation executives decide that animation isn't allowed to do the same thing? It's nuts...it just nuts...



No comments:

Post a Comment