Monday, January 12, 2009

Tia Dalma - Beyond the Pale






Gabrielle had a great Halloween costume - she was Tia Dalma from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.



She really rocked the outfit, but as we were doing research for making the costume, I noticed something curious - Google images returned page after page of pictures of other women who had been Tia Dalma for Halloween -- and they were all white ladies. OK, I though they ended up just looking like fat Gypsies, but to each her own, y'know? Then, just for kicks, I tried looking for Tia Dalma artwork. The very few painting I did manage to find, also showed a 'Tia Dalma' with extremely white features. Curiouser and curiouser. Tia a such an awesome character, and such a fun design, I decided to take a stab at my own design based on the Sea Goddess. This is still in progress - check back to see how it progresses.






No comments:

Post a Comment